Monday, March 5, 2012

PRODUCT REVIEW: Shea Moisture shampoo and soap

I have been looking into more natural products lately, you may have seen my post about the scary ingredients found in most beauty products, and I have found a couple I really like from a company called Shea Moisture, who have been around since 1912. Pretty impressive already huh? well the first product is Shea Moisture Organic Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo .



and I really really love it! It's made with 100% natural products. It is actually meant for ethnic hair, which usually tends to be very dry and brittle, but my hair is similar to that so it works great. Here is what Walgreens says about it (that's where I got it):
Hydrates, smoothes and repairs strands, leaving hair manageably soft. For dry, damaged hair. Heal, grow and strengthen.
  • Sea kelp: Trace minerals detoxify hair follicles of impurities and residue
  • Argan oil: Restores shine and rebuilds hair elasticity
  • Shea butter: Deeply moisturizes and repairs damage to hair and scalp
  • Ethically traded ingredients, sustainably produced
  • Color-safe
  • No parabens, phthalates, paraffin, gluten, propylene glycol, mineral oil, synthetic fragrance, mineral oil, synthetic fragrance, PABA, synthetic color, DEA, animal ingredients or sulfates
  • Cruelty free, no animal testing
  • Certified organic ingredients
When I first tried it in the shower, it kinda felt like i was washing my hair with conditioner...it felt kinda slippery. Then after I rinsed it out, it still felt like I had conditioner in my hair. Then I actually did put my Amika Obliphica conditioner in my hair and left it in for about 10 mins and rinsed. It felt different than after I usually rinse. I could run my fingers through my hair while it was wet! Then when I let it air dry, as I always do, my curls were bouncy, and no frizz could be detected. I fell in love. The only thing was since I didn't know how it was gonna react in my hair, I still used Amika hair oil when it was drying so it got oily the next day. With this shampoo I really don't need to use the oil as much as I had been, its VERY hydrating just like it promises. I think I found my new go to shampoo and will use it for a long time. :) Now that I've used it a few times, I know how much leave in conditioner and oil to use so it doesn't get oily for a few days, and also my color is staying alot longer which is awesome. It has actually healed my dandruff too...I get it right in the front of my head for some reason, well I used to! A+++ to this shampoo! If you have curly, dry, wavy, frizzy hair...use this stuff. It's $9.99 for a 12 0z. bottle at Walgreens.com and worth every penny.
Next product: Shea Moisture Organic Argan Oil & Raw Shea Butter Soap.

This product is a bar form of the shampoo almost...there are similar ingredients between the two anyway. It costs $4.99 at walgreens.com and is HUGE! It's an 8 oz bar and that's a great amount for the price! It has raw unrefined shea butter, and argan oil in it and is also made with alot of different oils like , Coconut Oil and , or Palm Oil , Apricot Oil, and is supposed to soften and repair dry skin. Here is my impression of it...it lathers up like a soap, but doesn't contain actual soap at all! It does kinda make you feel sticky or tacky when you first rinse it off. Kinda like the feeling of when you get deodorant on your hands and try to wash it off. But it does rinse clean after you rub it while water rinses over it. After you get out and dry yourself, your skin is AMAZINGLY SOFT, and not sticky or dry like when you use soap, and some drying body washes. Neither of these products have a smell really. It's more of an clean scent, not like "scented" soaps. Its just a faint smell, but it's nice. I still use body lotion after I shower just because I have dry skin and just because it's fine then, doesn't mean it wont dry out during trhe day. The only thing I don't care for is that it gets cracked from sitting in the shower but it still works fine so who cares? All in all, both of these products get an A++++++++ in my book. I can't wait to try the rest of their hair and body products!

No comments: