Sunday, January 13, 2013

Pacifica "natural minerals" makeup line - first impressions.

Hey everyone! I got something BRAND SPANKIN' NEW to show you today! Literally...it just came out this past Monday and as soon as I got the newsletter in my email, I jumped at the chance to snap it up for myself! I f you haven't heard of the brand Pacifica Perfume, they are an "all natural" perfume company, that also makes soaps and body lotions, and candles in the same scents as their perfumes. I say "all natural" in quotations because they do use preservatives like Phenoxyethanol in ALOT of their products. Other than that the ingredients are pretty darn good. So I have been using their solid perfume for about a year, but have been interested in trying more of their products...just haven't gotten around to it. Until last week that is. I get email updates from them, in their news letter, and I got the one introducing the new mineral makeup line Monday night and I was super excited! It is terribly hard to find an AFFORDABLE, and ALL NATURAL palette of any kind of makeup, and these are both of those things, with the exception of Phenoxyethanol. There are two makeup palettes in this new line, and they both retail for an amazing $14.00!! That is crazy affordable! They are also vegan and cruelty free!! AAAANNND are made for ALL skintones! The first is called  "Enlighten eye brightening shadow palette" which has four colors of eye shadow, two are shimmery, one is a satin finish and one is matte. The second palette is called "Radiant Shimmer coconut multiples", which has three highlighting creams that can be used on eyes, lips, and face. First, lets talk about the packaging...it's absolutely GOREGEOUS!! I really love the color combination of pink, and purple, with gold embellishments! It just couldn't get any prettier!








When you open up both palettes, you see the quote "you are so pretty" written in gold inside the top of the lid, which I thought was really cute, and the  inside of the palettes are just white with a yellow flower kind of pattern.





They also have the palette name written right on top of the lid as well. The palette itself is made of cardboard with a glossy finish, and the lid is magnetic, which helps to keep it shut, and you can see the actual contents through a little window right on top. 






Like I said before, I think the packaging on both of these palettes is just beautiful, and well made too! The magnet really does keep the lid closed even when you try to open it, it doesn't just pop open. You have to raise it up. Now let's move on to pigmentation and color. I have not worn these products yet, I have only test swatched them on my hand, and from what I can tell they are pretty good quality, there was a little fallout though when I was swatching them onto my skin, but that's ok. Let's start with the eyeshadows first. There are four different colors in this palette, this is how they are described on the box:  "skinny dip"- matte nude base color, "coral sand"- satin coral for lid base or highlighter, "golden"- perfect gold with just the right amount of shimmer, and "urchin"-iridescent jeweled purple with gold tones, perfect for lining and crease. Here they are swatched on my hand...they are not SUPER pigmented, but they are decent.

from left: skinny dip, coral sand, golden, urchin


The lighting in my house is kinda bad..I usually go outside to get true colors but it has been disgusting and rainy outside so this is as good as it gets. :(  I really like all of these colors , I think they all go really well together. My least favorite of them is Urchin because It doesn't really look that purple to me. I think it looks sort of brown. It is still very pretty though. As you can see, they do have pretty good color payoff, and are not too powdery or glittery, they are just very pretty and shimmery, which I like a lot. They did take a couple swipes to get this color but that isn't too bad considering they are natural mineral eye shadows. To me, they are great quality for being all natural, and even more for only being $14.00! You can NOT beat that! Now for the coconut multiples. There are three highlighting creams in this palette, and they can all be used on you eyes, lips and face. Here is the description from the box: "moonlit"- iridescent pale shades of moon-kissed shimmer. "island rose"-shimmering, radiant dewy pink, and "bronzed"-perfectly glowing sun-kissed colorwith golden shimmer. I think all three of these creams match their names EXACTLY. They are really described they way they come off which is awesome, but unusual lol.
from left: moonlit, island rose, bronzed


Again, bad lighting, but you can still see what they look like. Moonlit is a super pale pinkish silver, that I think would be a great brow highlight, but I think island rose is my favorite :) It would make a great blush for a fair skinned lady like myself. Bronzed would be great for someone who already has a tan and wants a little shimmer and glow on their face.
So what's the verdict here?? Let's go through the pro's and con's:

PRO'S:
very affordable.
all natural.
 vegan.
cruelty free
.portions of proceeds go to support clean water
made for all skin tones
great color payoff
good ingredients

CONS:
the use of phenoxyethanol.

Well, it seems there is more good things in this list! I am very impressed with both of these paletees and I can't wait to try them out on my actual face! I will do an update after I use them for a while and get a clear view of how they work. Check them out and tell me what you think! Also, if you have any requests for posts , or videos let me know!

 Love,
Shauna




radiant shimmer ingredients:
ethylhexyl palmitate, silica, caprylic/capric triglyceride, sunflower seed oil, ozokerite, carnauba wax, cetyl palmitate, candelia wax, all natural fragrance, phenoxyethanol, safflower seed oil, vitamin e, water, macrocystis pyrifera extract, coconut extract, sodium hyaluronate. May contain: mica, titanium dioxide, iron oxides.

eyeshadow ingredients:
coconut water, phenoxyethanol, brown kelp extract, indian ginseng root extract, May contain: silica, polymethylsilsquioxane, calcium sodium borosilicate, iron oxides, titanium dioxide, chromium oxide greens, ultramarines, manganese violet.


















4 comments:

annie northrup said...

What is pheno?

shookanuca said...

It's a preservative that cosmetic companies use in place of parabens, but it can cause skin irritation.

shookanuca said...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenoxyethanol

Tanya London said...

Phenoxyethanol is a chemical compound but it is organic, allowing products such as these to be sold as completely organic. It is a colorless oily liquid also know as glycol ether.