Friday, July 5, 2013

No more stinky pits!! pHresh Deodorant review

Hey guys! Did you see my June favorites post yet? If not...you can check it out here. The reason I ask is because I featured this product in my June favorites, but I am going to tell you a little more about it now. I was in search of an EFFECTIVE natural deodorant because the one I have been using almost the entire time I have been using natural products (Nourish Almond Vanilla, review here) had been failing miserably at odor protection in this very humid, Kentucky summer heat. I was getting comments from the bf that I was less than pleasant smelling after work, and that's nothing you want to hear when you are getting close with your man. Something had to be done!
 So one night I was trolling on iherb.com, and after scrolling through what seemed like hundreds of deodorants I had already looked at before, I saw one that was new to me. It was called pHresh, and after checking the description I was curious. I got on Google and searched for reviews on pHresh deodorant, and every one I came across said the same thing..." it really works!" After I ran through the ingredients list (twice), and read a few reviews, I was sold and ordered the Tropical Blossom scent.






They offer five different scents: Tropical Blossom( light tropical breeze scent), Barely Sweet (light berry blossom scent), Creme Brulee (vanilla sugar scent), Phree Unscented (unscented), and Sugar Mint (minty scent). I went for the tropical blossom because the description said it smells like a tropical breeze, and I want to feel like I'm on the beach since there's no beach in Ky. The decription on the tube says:

 "Contains soothing organic aloe, along with a powerful antimicrobial ingredient that helps stop odor causing bacteria. pHresh glides on smooth and clean. 100% Natural. Propylene glycol free. Aluminum free. Chemical free. Gentle and non-irritating."

I am excited to say that it lives up to it's claims! When my new deodorant arrived, I was so excited to try it out...but unfortunately it was night time so I had to wait until the next day. Danget.
 As soon as I got up though, I showered, and applied it, and the first thing I noticed was the scent. It has a very strong scent! Like, conventional deodorant strong. That excited me. One of the problems I find with natural deodorant, is that they are usually so lightly scented, they don't mask odors as well as they could. Is it just me that feels that way? The second thing I noticed, and was not as happy about, was the packaging. It is very strangely shaped. Unlike most deodorants that are just an oval shape, this one has the regular oval but then tapers into a smaller oval at the top of the stick. The stick is also a little loose inside the tube, and wobbles around in there.


The reason I don't like this is because when you pull the lid off, the stick seems to be stuck in it, and it pulls the stick out of the tube a little. I find it kind of annoying to have to keep pushing the stick back down in the tube every time I use it, but considering the ingredients, and effectiveness, I can deal with it.  I also like that it doesn't leave white residue on my clothing like some other deodorants will (The Bubble and Bee brand was so crumbly it got all over everything!) Let's move onto effectiveness!
 If you have freshly washed/shaved arm pits, this is no doubt the BEST natural deodorant I have ever used. If you have not washed your arm pits before applying, it is still really effective, but doesn't last as long against odors as it does on clean skin. As effective as it is, in really hot weather, you might have to re-apply at least once throughout the day. I find this to be true of all deodorant though, even conventional ones. With the Nourish, I was re-applying probably 3 times a day! That's a big improvement! I am really happy I decided to try this brand out, and I can't wait to try the other scents, and I hope you will give it a try too!   Do you have a favorite natural deodorant?


xo,

Shauna

Price: $7.99 (1.7 oz.)
Where to buy:
iherb.com

ingredients:
aloe barbadensis leaf juice*, propanediol, zea mays starch, sodium stearate, silica, saccharomyces ferment, stearyl behenate, carrageenan, lyceum barbarum fruit extract, clycerin, lauryl laurate, caprylic/capric triglyceride/ essential oils, leuconostoc/ radish root extract.
* means certified organic






1 comment:

lovelyholly said...

Zea Mays starch clogs pores in the Phresh deo. I use Aura Apotheca mineral deodorant sold via Etsy. :)