Tuesday, February 11, 2014

SWEETS WEEK day 1: Oat and date brownies



Hello everyone! Today is day one of my series called Sweets Week! Are you as excited as me? I am going to be showing you a new, healthy sweet treat everyday until Valentine's Day! So, it's even more fun for me because I get to test, and eat the finished product, but hopefully you enjoy these recipes and make them for yourself as well. :)

I really wanted to make something chocolatey, and also cakey....and what do you get when you mix those things together? BROWNIES. I loooove brownies. What I don't love though, is how they are usually full of butter (I like butter, but in moderation!), sugar, and wheat. Since a lot of my readers are gluten free, or vegan, or have food sensitivities, I decided I wanted to avoid those ingredients.

The brownies I created for you are wheat, dairy, soy, gluten, and egg free! The base is made from oat flour, and dates! You can't get any more simple than that. I started browsing around for different ways to make brownies healthy, and I came across black bean brownies, sweet potato brownies (I WILL try those!), and various gluten free recipes including oat flour, so I decided that's what I would use.

I decided to use dates because that is a great way to sweeten a dessert without ADDED sugar, because dates are a whole food. Natures candy. MMMMMMMM, They are very sweet and are full of fiber, iron, potassium, vitamins A and K, copper...the list goes on!!! I knew I had to include these magical sweet gems.

So I got out my food processor, made my oats into flour, pureed my dates, and got to work!The texture of these brownies isn't exactly like regular brownies, more like oatmeal cookies...but they are still delicious! In fact, the dough is delicious! I had to quit eating it so I could actually make this post! Also, the filling is optional, I just thought it was a fun touch.
 Here is what I came up with, and I hope you love them as much as I do :)

* I made this easy on myself and pre-measured everything before I started*


Ingredients:

Brownie:
1 1/2 cups oat flour
1 cup pitted dates
1/2 cup raw cacao powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of pink himalayan sea salt
3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

Filling:
1/2 cup coconut butter or more
2 tsp raw honey
splash of vanilla extract
1 tbsp of almond milk

For Brownies:
Preheat oven to 350. Measure out your oat flour and place it in a bowl. Add dates to food processor and blend until it's a thick paste. Go ahead and measure out your almond milk and vanilla, and add those to the food processor as well. Blend until mixed. Batter will be lumpy. Add your cocoa, baking powder and salt to the oat flour and mix together. Add the date mixture to the dry mixture and use a spoon to combine them. Grease your pan with a little coconut oil(I used heart silicon baking pan in honor of Valentine's Day), and spoon your mixture into your pan. Bake for 15 minutes.

While the brownies are baking, make your filling. Add the coconut butter to a bowl, place that bowl on top of a pan of water,turn the heat to medium, and let it melt.Add your honey to the coconut butter and mix it until honey is dissolved, then add almond milk and vanilla. Mix together. Remove from heat.

Remove brownies from oven and let cool on a cooling rack. If you are using a silicone pan they should just pop out onto the cooling rack. Once cool, seperate brownies into groups of 2. This made 5  "sandwiches" and 1 extra...so to make it even I ate one :) Place some filling between each sandwich, and EAT!



Ta-DAAAA! I really like these brownies because they are not super sweet, they fulfill my chocolate cravings, and are also filling so I don't eat ALL of them at once.



I would love to know what you guys think of these! Also, if you have any suggestions for future desserts let me know in the comments, or on twitter using #SweetsWeek!

Xo,

Shauna

3 comments:

Kath N. said...

I love this recipe! I love things that are sweetened with fruit. For a recipe suggestion, although it's a fairly tricky one, is a chocolates filling (as in a box of chocolates) that is sweetened without cane sugar - such as honey or maple syrup. A filling recipe that could be tweaked to make different flavors. I've been looking for something like that. Thank you for this recipe!

Shauna said...

I'm glad you liked it! I will see if I can figure out a filling for you :)

Kath N. said...

Oooh, that's exciting, thank you! :)