Saturday, May 3, 2014

Spotlight On: Manitoba Harvest Hemp Protein


Hey guys! You may or may not know this about me, depending on how long you've been around, but finess, and eating healthy are my biggest passions other than green beauty. I am always exited about finding new foods and ways to incorporate nutrition into my life. I also have an interest in fitness and "fitness foods", such as the Tone It Up Nutrition Plan, which I have had for over a year now and really love!

My only problem with these types of foods is that a TON of their recipes call for protein powder, brown rice protein in particular. I use to really like the Garden Of Life Raw Peotein, but unfortunately Natural News released results from lab tests that they did all on their own, and discovered really toxic amounts of heavy metals such as lead, cadmium, and mercury, in nearly every brown rice protein (and many other types) on the market. Raw Protein being one of them.

Not that I consume protein powder daily, or even weekly, but I was still disappointed. The heavy metals actually come from the soil from which the rice was grown in...mostly in China. So needless to say I am not going to be buying any brown rice protein for quite a while. At least until the limits are met by 2015 which they are suppose to be. You can read about this in more detail HERE, HERE, HERE, and HERE.

BUT..
Hemp Protein has consistently come out testing very clean!! That was very exciting to hear because I had been trying to include more hemp seeds into my diet because of the amazing nutritional punch they add, and that led me to researching hemp protein powder.

In my search I came across this brand, that is now my go-to for protein powder, Manitoba Harvest!

I research products thoroughly before I decide to by them. I look over their website, google them, read reviews, and try to find out as much about the products as I can to see if it is the right fit. Everything about Manitoba Harvest is the right fit for me. Not only is it organic, but the ingredients list is only three items long.
Yes. I said THREE.

I have the Dark Chocolate flavor and here is the ingredient list:
-Raw organic cold milled hemp protein powder
- Organic palm sugar
- Organic fair trade cocoa powder
That's it!

No artificial flavors, no artificial sweeteners, no chemical preservatives! It tastes amazing, it doesn't upset my stomach and it makes amazing pancakes! It is not chalky like some other hemp proteins I have tried either which was a big deal. What more could you ask for from a protein powder??

I picked mine up at Whole Foods for about $16.99, and it was worth every penny. I am definitely going to be trying the vanilla one as well. If you are someone who uses protein powder often, and are looking for a great vegan brand to try, I highly recommend Manitoba Harvest.

Have you tried any products from Manitoba Harvest?

xo,

Shauna

Where to buy:
Manitoba Harvest

Iherb.com ( use code SEQ516 to save $5-$10 on your first purchase!)

1 comment:

Chesca said...

I LOVE hemp protein powder, and only really tried it because where I am in the UK it's the only vegan protein powder I could easily get hold of! Honestly the uses and benefits of hemp are never ending x