Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Yes, bees are IMPORTANT.

photo from my garden last year :)

Hey guys. By the title of this post, you should already to be able to tell that this is an issue that is personal to me. A few things prompted me to write this today. All of them happened today. Let me start off by saying I am an advocate for saving the bees, and sign every petition against pesticide/ herbicide/ fungicide or anything that is harmful and deadly to bees, and strongly encourage almost everyone I know to do the same. That being said, today I received an email from the Environmental Working Group about a petition against a new pesticide that Dow Chemical is trying to get passed called 2,4-D and I shared it with some co- workers and I explained that bees are endangered and these pesticides are also toxic to humans/ cause cancer. I asked them if they would sign it, and I of course did.

The two awesome ladies that work next to me said heck yes they would. Another gal that doesn't work next to me but in my area, said " I don't care about bees, I just don't want to get cancer". This broke my  heart. This is a bit of the convo we had:
Me: Bees are responsible for most of the fruits and vegetables that we eat, and really anything that has a bloom on it gets pollinated by bees.
Her: I eat meat, I'm good.
Me: What? How will you eat meat if the meat you are eating doesn't have any plants?
Her: They can eat grass

I may sound a bit crazy to some of you because I was explaining this to my unwilling co-workers, but the people in my area actually are interested in these things as well, they even ask me about them on their own.( I just wanted to let you know I wasn't pushing this info on them.)

Then after work, I was out in the garden watering all of my plants, and watching about 5 different honeybees hop happily from flower to flower, and I started to recall my earlier conversation and got fired up. I needed to talk about why bees ARE important, and ask how people don't know this??

Did you know there are different types of bees?Yup. According to One Green Planet there are 25,000 types of bee species around the world. That is amazing.

When you type into Google search, "why bees are important", this quote pops up first:
  1. Globally there are more honey bees than other types of bee and pollinating insects, so it is the world's most important pollinator of food crops. It is estimated that one third of the food that we consume each day relies on pollination mainly by bees, but also by other insects, birds and bats..

That is a big reason right there. The MOST IMPORTANT POLLINATOR in the WORLD! Bees are responsible for so many of the foods we humans consume each day. The most healthy and nutritious foods for that matter!  Broccoli, asparagus, cantaloupes, cucumbers, pumpkins, blueberries, watermelons, almonds, apples, cranberries, and cherries....all of these amazing foods would not be here without bees!! We also would not have honey, (a favorite among green beauty bloggers and health conscious people). Raw honey is an amazing food and skincare product, and  is an alkaline-forming food that contains vitamins, enzymes, antioxidants and other nutrients.

These natural pollinators help keep the world full of beautiful blooms of flowers and trees and these plants provide food for other animals, and so on. Bees are a part of the food chain too.

Can you imagine a world with no flowers, or honey? I sure can't. And I don't think we should have to. If more people started to realize how important bees really are, maybe there would be less of a threat to their lives.

I think all people need is a little knowledge and understanding about what we are doing to harm the bees, and a little guidance on what we can do to stop it. There are a few things we can all do to help these harmless little guys out.

** STOP USING CHEMICALS. That is number one on my list. These pesticides,chemical fertilizers, weed killers are all super harmful to bees. Stop using them and opt for a natural solution such as hand pulling or vinegar for weeds,orange oil , or soapy water for pests, and so many more other options. Or just leave your weeds alone. Our grass has these little white poofy flowers that bees LOVE.

** Plant flowers that attract bees. There is a flower I found from Seed saver's Exchange that is attractive to all pollinators! It's called Bee's friend. How appropriate! They also like sunflowers ( I had to walk hunched over through my garden last year from all the traffic!)

 ** Let your congressman know how you feel. I have actually done this. I have signed many petitions that were sent to my congressman letting him know that bee killing pesticides need to go!

Queen of the Sun has compiled a list of 10 things we can do to help save the bees. These are all doable for all of us. I really recommend checking it out if you are interested.


I am sorry if I sounded ranty here, but I get fired up about things I am passionate  What are your thoughts on this topic?


Xo,

Shauna




Great reading about bee importance:
CC Pollen
One Green Planet
British Beekeepers Association


** All thoughts expressed in this blog post were my own opinion. I am not endorsing any companies or brands**

2 comments:

Sabrina Zimmerman said...

Oh my God, I love this post! I feel exactly as you do and have done all the same things and have even used the same argument to meat eaters that the animals they love to eat rely on plants (including grass) to survive. I think Einstein said it best when he stated that "if the bee disappeared from the surface of the globe, then man will only have four years of life left." That is really scary and it appalls me how many people not only are uninformed of this fact but that some don't really care. I truly fear for our planet's future as well as our own health. It makes me so happy when I see others that care as much as I do and are actually doing something to try and make a difference! Keep signing those petitions, keep informing/educating people and above all, never give up! Sorry, I got a little long winded! LOL :-)

Shauna said...

I'm glad you liked it! It scares me too that there isn't more awareness and information out there for people to get informed. We can all do something to help!