Monday, February 16, 2015

Book Review: The Food Babe Way


Hey guys! I have never done anything like this on my blog before...so it will be a first for all of us. A book review! I'm sure if you have ever read my blog before, you know by now that I am all about clean, natural, wholesome, and organic food, whatever diet you choose to follow. I believe that is the key to great health. Removing chemicals, additives, gmo's, and any other yucky ingredients out of your mouth, and out of your personal care products is one of the BEST steps you can take for yourself, in my opinion, if you want to be healthy.

That being said, I am NOT a nutritionist, or health care provider, nor do I pretend to be, I just research how I can best take care of myself, and try to follow what makes me feel good. Now that we have that straight, let's talk books. On my natural journey one of the first books I ever read was Kimberly Snyder's Beauty Detox Solution, which led me down the path of where I am now in my eating and beauty habits. She opened my eyes to what was going into my body, in both areas, and since then I research EVERYTHING I can get my hands on about health. Also, that is how I started this blog!

I am not a vegan, or a vegetarian, but I base most of my diet around veggies, fruits, and other plant based foods, and I add organic meats and cheeses in there moderately. That is what makes ME feel healthy, I am not saying that works for everyone. To each their own! After reading TBDS, I started reading tons of other books and learning about chemicals to avoid in food, and learning what to buy and where to shop...hours and hours are still spent on doing these things, just because it is now my biggest passion...but if I had had this book back in 2012, I feel like it would've been alot easier to get started!!

There is already tons of controversy over The Food Babe Way, just google it. Vani Hari, the author, has SO MANY HATERS that want to take her down it is rediculous!! Big food comapanies are targeting her all over the internet trying to discredit her, agrichemical companies are trying to make her go away for exposing them. I personally know a few people in my life that don't like her because they disagree with some of her investigations, some people even call her a "fear monger" because some of the things she writes make people react and stop eating that particular ingredient. Even if I did agree with that, which I DON'T, so what?? She gets things DONE. And that is all that matters to me at the end of the day. I love Vani, and her blog foodbabe.com, and I am grateful to have people like her looking out for us, because we know nobody else is doing it! I mean just look at the stuff we are allowed to eat...

Anywho, I pre-ordered her book The Food Babe Way, and just received it a few days ago. I love it! She has a no nonsense way of putting her findings to make everyone understand that we are the only ones who can look out for us. Not the government, not the food industry. Just ourselves.

There are a few things in the book I don't really agree with. She names different diets, and then why she thinks each is flawed, and while I agree with her for the most part, I don't think just because you follow a certain "diet" means that you aren't going to buy organic or non gmo. Some people automatically include that in their shopping priorities. Other than that, I totally agree.

I love that she gives you 21 good food habits to include in your life daily to help you get in a routine for better health. I have included many of these tips in my life after doing my own research and reading many health books and find that they really do make a difference in the way I look and feel, such as including warm lemon water or ACV in your morning routine, and including green drinks into your daily life. Both of those things were introduced to me early in my journey, and I definitely recommend them!!

She also recommends that you cut down on your meat and dairy intake, and only include humainely raised, orgainic versions if possible. I believe that is a great idea. Most meats that you can find at the grocery store are from factory farms and contain hormones and were most likely fed gmo grains...so it's not a bad idea to eat less of it, or avoid it all together unless you can find pasture raised. Raw milk products are getting easier to find as well, which is the only dairy I can eat without getting nasty breakouts. In Kentucky it is illegal to sell raw milk, but you can easily get raw cow, sheep, or goat cheeses, which I try to buy. Those are the easiest to digest too!

Lastly, I love the eating guide! She provides really affordable, healthy, easy to follow recipes with ingredients that you can easily find at any grocery store! I have tried a few of these recipes myself, and they get a thumbs up! Not just because I already had most of the ingredients on hand (no shopping!), but because they are actually really good...ESPECIALLY the mexican casserole!

She even includes a list of recommended reading, how to start your own petition, and how to eat out...and avoid gmo's at different restaurants!

This book is a great reference for anyone who is looking for a guide to get started on a healthy eating journey. I know that it would have been useful for me when I started! For those that aren't fans, I can  understand that you may not want to read this book and that's fine, but for those who are up for it, I really recommend it!!

Have you read The Food Babe Way yet?? What are your thoughts??

xo,
Shauna

Buy here:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Food-Babe-Way-Younger/dp/1478955317


*This review is based on MY OWN OPINIONS, I purchased this item with my own money, and was not compensated in any way.*

No comments: